Our patron saint, St Kieran of Clonmacnoise (also know as St Kieran the Younger), was born c. 516AD in Connacht, Ireland. His life is reflected throughout the school and his legacy of lifelong learning is integral to the values of the St Kieran's community. St Kieran was blessed with a vision of a great tree which led him to begin his own monastry, to which brothers from all over Ireland came to study.
In 1959 after many efforts by parish priest Father Tom Armstrong to establish a school at Brighton, the Canossian Sisters agreed to provide two nuns, to run a school in the parish. This was to be one of the first schools in Australia run by the Italian order of Canossian nuns. On February 2nd 1960 classes began in the presbytery under rather difficult conditions with 72 children in Grades 1 and 2. Mother Mary Conti and Mother Mabel De Souza travelled daily to Brighton on public transport from Canossa House, Gregory Terrace.
Ben Gray, the current principal, continues to lead the work of providing a contemporary quality Catholic education to our students.